Friday, March 28, 2014

Strawberry Jam

So I wanted to 'learn' how to make freezer jam...If I had known it was so easy I would have been making it for years! I tried a 'no cook' one, and then a friend came over and helped me with a cook one. They both taste really good. The cook one tastes more like a real 'jam' and the no cook one is more fresh. I like them both!


Here is the 'Cook' recipe I made with Megan

For every
1 C Strawberries
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 TBsp Lemon Juice

Clean and trim stems from your strawberries, pulse in your blender until it looks like jam.

Measure strawberries AFTER they are crushed. Stir all ingredients into a LARGE pot, bring to a boil, and boil until translucent looking (approx 25-30 minutes)

See that white foam? scrap that stuff out. Megan swirled it around and around and then she scooped it off of the sides.

Poor into jars, and put on the lids. Done and Done!!! Good for a week in the fridge and a year in the freezer, and it is super yummy.



Now the 'No Cook' Recipe

For Every:
1 2/3 C Strawberries (washed, hulled, and crushed/blended)
2 Tbsp Ball Instant Pectin (for freezing)
2/3 C Sugar

Stir sugar, and pectin in a bowl. Add fruit and stir for 3 minutes, pour into clean freezer jars.




coolest site ever:
http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/reference/pectin.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment