Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Bertha Stone's Butter Horns


 2 C Milk (scalded)
1/2 C Sugar
3/4 C Butter or Margarine +more to pat into the dough

4 tsp Yeast
1 TBsp Sugar
1/2 C Warm Water

1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Nutmeg + more to sprinkle on the dough
2 Eggs, beaten
6 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Salt

Butter
Brown sugar (optional)
1. In a medium pot scald milk. Let cool, then add 1/2 Sugar, and 3/4 C butter.

2. In a separate bowl add yeast to warm water and sugar, let proof. 

3. In a bread mixing bowl, add yeast mixture to scalded milk mixture, then add 1 tsp Vanilla, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 2 beaten eggs, 6 1/2 C flour. This is a very sticky dough.

4. Mix well for 10 minutes, let rest for 10 minutes, then mix again. Let rise to double in size. 

5. Turn out on a well floured dish towel/counter. Pat/roll out to 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Pat in a little bit of butter. Sprinkle with nutmeg (and brown sugar if desired) and roll up like a cinnamon roll. 

6. Cut into about 3/4 inch thick slices. Place on a greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper)- let rise again 

7. Bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes. Ice when cool. Sprinkle with walnuts if you wish. I lowered the heat for my oven, her directions called for 375

Icing - Bertha didn't give her icing recipe, and I just use a cream cheese recipe that I use with my cinnamon rolls. These are good, but a little different than what I am used to. If you like nutmeg, these are bomb! Made approx 18 but I am not a chef, I don't cut exact. 



No comments:

Post a Comment